Glaucoma is a serious eye condition that can lead to blindness. It occurs when pressure builds in the eye, damaging the optic nerve. Glaucoma can be treated with medication, surgery, or a combination of both. Early detection and treatment are important to prevent vision loss. At Eye Care Center Limited in Addison and Burbank, we treat glaucoma as well as other conditions.
What Causes Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is an eye condition that impairs the optic nerve and can lead to blindness often caused by high pressure in the eye. This pressure can be due to a buildup of fluid in the eye or thinning of the cornea. Glaucoma can also be caused by an injury to the eye or by certain medical conditions. It's also often hereditary and can develop with age.
The Symptoms of Glaucoma
There are several symptoms that could be signs of glaucoma. They include:
- Visual field loss
- Loss of peripheral vision
- Blurred vision or halos around lights
- Dark spots in the center of your visual field (blind spots)
- Seeing colored dots or flashes in your visual field (phosphenes)
These symptoms are usually not noticed until the disease has progressed to an advanced stage. Annual eye exams are critical to identifying glaucoma in its earliest stages, so treatment can be the most beneficial.
Treatment Options for Glaucoma
While there is no cure for glaucoma, there are several treatments available to slow the progression of the disease. The goal of glaucoma treatment is to lower the intraocular pressure in the eyes and prevent damage to the optic nerve. Some of the treatments include:
- Eyedrops - Prescription eyedrops are the most commonly used treatment for glaucoma. These drops help reduce pressure by increasing fluid flow out of the eye or decreasing fluid production in the eye.
- Laser Trabeculoplasty - This outpatient procedure can be used to help unblock the drainage angle of the eye. It requires no incision but does require a general anesthetic. The laser is applied through a small slit in the cornea and is used to burn away some of the trabecular meshwork.
- Lifestyle Changes - A healthy lifestyle with continual monitoring will keep glaucoma under control.
Contact Eye Care Center Limited for Glaucoma Treatment
The eye care specialists at Eye Care Center Limited can help you with glaucoma treatment. We have offices in Addison and Burbank to provide the quality eye care that you need. Call our Addison office today at (630) 543-0607or our Burbank office at (708) 599-0050.